Blog Background

Sunday, August 25, 2013

Friendly Woodpecker

Good morning!
How are you enjoying your weekend? Only 1 more left this summer :( I for one don't feel like we have even had a 'summer' this year. I swear we went from Spring straight into Autumn. My poor garden has basically done nothing this year. Too many rainy days and not enough sunshine; not to mention the horribly cold nights. This year has been terrible.

Are you ready to play again with the DT at One Stitch At A Time? Challenge #178 is 'Anything Goes', and all my awesome teamies have been super busy creating some fabulous projects to share with you. Please make sure you stop by and visit with all of them, they love getting company.
Anyone who knows me, knows that my second favourite animal (after my Shih Tzu fur-babies) is BIRDS. I love birds. I make use of several styles of bird feeders in my yard, all year long and you can often find me standing on the deck, (even when its -25 C), watching and photographing the different birds who come to visit my feeders. I never get tired of watching them, especially when the parents are teaching the babies how to land on my feeders and eat. We actually had a family of Cardinals; Mom, Dad and 3 babies, and I watched all afternoon as Mom and Dad lined up all 3 baby birds on the branch of an evergreen and repeatedly flew back and forth from branch to feeder. Finally, 1 baby gave it a shot, and even though he didn't stick the landing, he tried a few more times, and then success. The 2nd baby eventually tried and with practice, she too finally got it. No way was baby Cardinal #3 trying it though. He hung on when Mom tried giving him a push, then took off back to the tree where I'm sure the nest was hidden. A couple days later, all 3 babies were flying back and forth from that same evergreen branch to my feeder while Mom and Dad looked on with pride.

Our sponsor for this week's challenge is......some of the Stitchy Angels Design Team with an assortment of terrific prizes they have donated! Can I have a big round of applause for these amazing ladies?!?!

Well, enough of my bird story, and here is why I even mentioned birds:
Front of my card.
 
 
Close-up of Diamond cut corners and sentiment


Close-up of the Red Headed Woodpecker
 
 
Inside of my card
 
Card Recipe
Image: Floppy Latte Designs - 'Red Headed Woodpecker'
Medium: Copics # E70, 74, 79, R20, 22, 24, 29, W1, 3, 5, 7, 10
Cardstock: Copic & Recollections
Patterned Paper, Card base, Vellum & Sentiment: HOTP
Fibers: EK Success
Brads: Making Memories
Special Tools: EK Success 'Diamond Corner' Punch
 
\Well, that is it from me for today. I hope you come by and visit me again soon.
Hugs xo
 

4 comments:

  1. A beautiful card and I love the story of the Cardinals. I remember seeing those beautiful birds when we holidayed in North Carolina in 1984! I, too, love watching them but I'm terrified of them when they fly near me. Hazel x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking at the way you have created this card and coloured your red-headed woodpacker the fact that you know your birds is very apparent. I rather think this card is extra special to you. I sympathise with your non-summer this year .... you've described what we endured here in the UK last year. This year has been much more British for us. Ingrid xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful Woodpecker creation. Glad you like Birds. Like your coloring. Especially like the diamond edges. I use Spellbinder Diamond dies. My fav animals are Pandas & Cheetahs, dogs & Birds. I enjoyed watching & photographing in a Mini Magnolia Tree in my backyard outside my bedroom window Robins w/ a nest of 3 eggs, eggs hatched, eyes of babies not opened, to eyes opened, being fed & was even in the yard when the 1st one flew out of the nest and I got photo of that and then next day again I was in the yard when the other 2 flew out and I got photos.
    Melissa
    "Sunshine HoneyBee"
    OSAAT DT

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tracey, great coloring and love the corrugated paper.

    TTFN,

    CraftyGirl
    Your Sister OSAAT DT
    craftygirlcardsandcrafts.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for all of your lovely comments. I read each and every one of them.